November 24, 2014

The Coolest-Looking Fish Ever







This is, undoubtedly, my new favorite saltwater fish. The 3/4” long spikyfin goby (Discordipinna griessinger) is a tiny creature found on the reefs of Cebu in the Central Visayas. There are three color forms: black, red, and white. Sadly, I could only find pictures of the red type. (I hear you yawning, you know. Stop! It’s making me downbeat.)

This insane, otherworldly animal likes to eat opossum shrimp (Mysis relicta) and it is sometimes kept in home aquariums. However, THIS is a fish that I think is definitely best kept on the reefs it lives in naturally. If you have a reef or saltwater aquarium and you really want one, it’s best to purchase one online (such as from Drs. Foster and Smith® or LiveAquaria™) that is captive-bred. I recommend a 10+ gallon tank.

This species usually lives alone in caves, or in pairs. They mate for life (awwww!).

They share their genus with just one other species, the filament goby (Discordipinna filamentosa). Here is what D. filamentosa looks like:



To end things on a pleasant note, watch this video.

1 comment:

  1. MY EYES

    I HAVE BEEN SCARRED FOR LIFE

    Though still, awesome fish.. even if they are disturbing, mwahhaha..

    ReplyDelete